[Dixielandjazz] Re: George Girard and the Basin Street Six

patcooke77 at yahoo.com patcooke77 at yahoo.com
Wed May 17 08:27:05 PDT 2006

Bil said:

"And I certainly agree with your assessment of Tin Roof Blues. Great Pete
Fountain. The Irving Fazola influence is very much to the fore."

      The Fazola influence indeed! I was playing with Fazola in the late forties, and we were doing 3 nights a week here in New Orleans.  There was a young fellow who used to come in and sit and watch and listen attentively to Fazola quite frequently.  I had no idea who he was at the time, but a few years later after Faz had died; I went into the same club and there was a band on the stand.  I was coming in to meet someone, and I was looking for them instead of watching the band.  Then I heard this clarinet and thought Fazola had risen from the dead.  It was Pete Fountain .....(and you know the 'rest of the story').

Pat Cooke
New Orleans