[Dixielandjazz] Pops orchestra hosts New Orleans' venerable Dixieland band

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Fri May 12 15:02:26 PDT 2006

By Janelle Gefland/Enquirer Staff Writer

New Orleans is coming back. But for Ben Jaffe, who is struggling to
resurrect the historic Preservation Hall, the pain wreaked by Hurricane
Katrina last August is still fresh.

"It has proven to be emotionally draining for all of us," says Jaffe,
referring to the reopening this month of Preservation Hall, the Mecca of
New Orleans jazz in the city's French Quarter.

The Preservation Hall Jazz Band, that has embodied the New Orleans sound
for 45 years in its 1750s-era building, joins the Cincinnati Pops at
Music Hall this weekend for "Take Me to the River." The show will be
taped for national PBS television broadcast.

Jaffe, 35, the youngest member, who plays string bass, has grown up with
the band. His parents, Allan and Sandra Jaffe, opened Preservation Hall
in 1961. Ben Jaffe, a graduate of Ohio's Oberlin Conservatory of Music,
took over management of the venerable club with his mother after his
father died in 1987.

Jaffe's emotions were running high last week, during the 10-day New
Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival that ended up as a kind of reunion of
displaced musicians.

"It was bittersweet. It was a wonderful thing to have music back on that
stage, but it was also bittersweet because so many of our musicians are
still evacuated to other cities, and not here," says Jaffe. "It's just
hard. It makes it very difficult to be happy and to celebrate right now."

Although he sustained minor damage to his own home when Katrina flooded
80 percent of the city and caused $96 billion in damage, five of the
band's seven members lost theirs. He says about 60 percent of the
musicians who regularly play Preservation Hall are still scattered.

The historic hall didn't sustain any physical damage. But emotional and
financial devastation has taken its toll on the Preservation Hall
musicians, Jaffe says.

"To actually measure the devastation to us? I lost the tour bus that the
Preservation Hall Jazz Band toured the country in. That was a huge
financial loss," he says.

He also lost a record company he had founded two years ago to preserve
the band's sounds. And he recently closed the books on an artist
management company called One Music that included Preservation Hall.

Still, he is one of the lucky ones. In New Orleans, an estimated 10,000
small businesses will never reopen, he says. More than 300,000 families
are still living as evacuees in other cities.

"That's unbelievable. Those numbers are staggering," he says. "The
situation is so unique to every individual. Everybody has to deal with
something that we never thought we would encounter in our lifetimes."

Jaffe and his wife, Sarah, founded the New Orleans Musicians Hurricane
Relief Fund, to help support the far-flung musicians who have lost
homes, musical instruments and livelihoods. The fund has aided 800
musicians so far, helping them find new saxophones, repairing
flood-damaged homes and subsidizing gigs.

They've met their initial goal of $1 million. But soon, Jaffe says,
they'll announce a new goal of $25 million, to rebuild New Orleans'
music scene, literally from the ground up.

"The money would go toward making sure the musicians were relocated back
to New Orleans, and to make sure that there are places for them to
perform," he says.

Jaffe is overcome by the sheer scope of the task.

"It's actually too emotional for me to talk about right now," he says.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060512/ENT/605120318/1025/LIFE