[Dixielandjazz] Anachronic Jazz Band

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon May 8 19:14:55 PDT 2006

Hi all,

The subject of the Anachronic Jazz Band comes up on this list now and
then.  Here I go reviving the subject.  But with sound to back up the
text.  I propose the audio tracks from the double CD issued (I think) in
1992.  The two disks contain the AJB's two vinyl LPs (1976 & 1978) plus
undistributed live cuts made by a fan with decent equipment.  These
latter seven were recorded at a concert in Nantes in Nov 1978.

I am probably breaking some laws here so will not keep these files
available for too long.  What I have up online are MP3s of the 2 CD set
plus scans of the liner notes.

The front cover of the AJB compilation is at
http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/box_front.jpg and the back cover (with
tune list) is at http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/box_back.jpg.

All the booklet scans were cropped to 2800 x 1400 pixels so if you are
clever with page order, you can put together the booklet.  You'll need
to scale them appropriately for your printer (but don't reduce the size
of the image; the scans already aren't the best) and print centered on
two sides, cut out and put together.

I'll try to put together printing order later on, but first, here are
links to the english part of the book to introduce the Anachronic Jazz
Band. Read :

The left side of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book1419.jpg
The right side of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book1815.jpg
Both sides of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book1617.jpg
The left side of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book1815.jpg
The right side of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book1419.jpg
The left side of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book2013.jpg
The right side of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book1221.jpg
The left side of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book2211.jpg
The right side of http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book1023.jpg

In the personal list, you may see some familiar names.  Co-director
Philippe Baudoin (p) is a pianist jazz historian that authored
"Anthologie des Grilles de Jazz - 1500 Morceaux - De Scott Joplin à John
Coltrane."  If you are a rhythm section player, this collection is a
must.  Co-director Marc Richard (cl; saxes) has been very active on the
music scene since these recordings most recently directing the Paris
Swing Orchestra, an EXCELLENT vocal oriented big band.  Daniel Huck (as,
voc) is just a musical monster.  He is a must see player.  I get the
honor of playing with him a couple of times a year.  Daniel Barda (tb)
is of Paris Washboard and Watergate 7 fame.  Patrick Artero (tp), André
Villéger (cl, saxes) and Dominique Vernhes (saxes) are all big money
players.  Have any of you ever run into any of these guys??

OK, here are the tunes in MP3 format (stereo 192kbps).  These are big
files so don't attack downloading unless you have a couple of minutes.

DISK 1
* Yardbird Suite -
http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/01-Yardbird_Suite.mp3 - I have always
liked this tune.  Check out the penny whistle work by Göran Ericksson.
* Round Midnight -
http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/02-Round_Midnight.mp3 - I don't care
what anyone says, almost everything Monk wrote is wonderful.  Rather
than a ballad, the AJB treats this as a bouncy 2-beat medium.
* Anthropology - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/03-Anthropology.mp3-
Here is a fun raucous version of a Gillespie/Parker standard.
* Blue Monk - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/04-Blue_Monk.mp3 - They
start this one off with a sort of Jellyroll Morton flavor.
* Tin Tin Deo - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/05-Tin_Tin_Deo.mp3
* Jordu - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/06-Jordu.mp3
* Pent Up House - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/07-Pent_Up_House.mp3
- Piano solo by Philippe Baudoin.
* Bernies Tune - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/08-Bernies_Tune.mp3
* Move - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/09-Move.mp3
* Giant Steps / Blues To Bechet -
http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/10-Giant_Steps__Blues_To_Bechet.mp3 -
Here Marc Richard doubles Patrick Artero on trumpet to give this bop
tune an Oliver flavor.
* Joy Spring - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/11-Joy_Spring.mp3 - You
could probably fool some folk into believing this is Whiteman here.
Though, the trumpet solo isn't too Bixesque.
* Duke Idea - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/12-Duke_Idea.mp3 - An
original bluesy tune by Philippe Baudoin and Daniel Huck.
* Anachronic Stomp -
http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd1/13-Anachronic_Stomp.mp3 - A fun
original by Marc Richard that makes me think of the Hot Antic Jazz Band,
another fine french band.

DISK 2
* Ask Me Now - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/01-Ask_Me_Now.mp3 -
Jeez, I like Monk.
* Salt Peanuts - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/02-Salt_Peanuts.mp3 -
I'm sure Dizzy would have liked this treatment.
* Daahoud - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/03-Daahoud.mp3 - Clifford
Brown à la Bechet.
* Be Bop - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/04-Be_Bop.mp3
* Anachronic Blues -
http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/05-Anachronic_Blues.mp3 - Another Marc
Richard original.

The unreleased live cuts start here.
* My Pet - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/06-My_Pet.mp3 - I don't know
how this made it into the repertoire with all the bop tunes.
* Blue Monk - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/07-Blue_Monk.mp3
* Tin Tin Deo - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/08-Tin_Tin_Deo.mp3
* Round Midnight - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/09-Round_Midnight.mp3
* Yardbird Suite - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/10-Yardbird_Suite.mp3
* Jordu - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/11-Jordu.mp3
* Bernies Tune - http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/12-Bernies_Tune.mp3
* I Hope Gabriel Likes My Music -
http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/cd2/13-I_Hope_Gabriel_Likes_My_Music.mp3 -
Scat solo by Daniel Huck.

I await comments from everyone, but especially from those that have
never heard the AJB before.

Now for putting the book together, put the following pairs of images on
opposite sides of same piece of paper.  The links for the front and back
covers were listed earlier.

http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book3201.jpg
http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book0231.jpg

http://www.mayakiser.com/ajb/book/book3003.jpg