[Dixielandjazz] Jim Cullum Band trombone opening

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Mon May 8 19:17:00 PDT 2006

I have been very much interested in the debate coming out of the trombone chair vacancy first mentioned on this list by Don Mopsick, but which then became a topic in what you might think is a very logical place, on the Online Trombone Forum:

http://forum.trombone.org/viewtopic.php?t=23248

It is now up to its 68th post and some members (perhaps including myself) have been getting very upset with those jazz trombone players who just don't seem to understand the requirements of the chair - or, if it comes to that, 'any' trombone chair in a Dixieland/Traditional band. Especially in a band I would put in the category of playing what I recently saw described on this List as 'modern' Dixieland. I hasten to point out that is my own assessment of the band's style and not theirs.

I would also confess to often using the online trombone forum as a place to promote Dixieland jazz and liberally sprinkling posts with my propaganda. Any help from trombonists on this List would be greatly appreciated. I sometimes feel a bit outnumbered.

As a trombonist and a big fan over the years of the Jim Cullum Band, I have more than just a passing interest in who lands the job. I will be even more interested to hear the results of the selection process on future recordings.

Grah

Graham Martin
REDLAND BAY
Queensland, AUSTRALIA