[Dixielandjazz] Nappy Trottier

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Mon May 8 22:29:18 PDT 2006

Since I got my new turntable I have been happily burning CDs from my vinyl
stash and listening to stuff I haven't heard in years. Yesterday I turned up
a Don Ewell LP (recorded in 1959 - Audiophile APS-5966 "Yellow Dog Blues")
on which he plays with a trio including Nappy Trottier on trumpet. Ewell's
playing is of course superlative but I was not too impressed with Trottier -
weak uneven vibrato, fluffed notes etc. Not that his playing is bad, just
kinda average - I got to wishing that he had stayed at home and allowed Don
to do the session on his own.

John Farrell