[Dixielandjazz] Re: Kidd Jordan's Second Line (was N.O. J & H Festival)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 8 20:18:10 PDT 2006

Dear Rebecca,
The tune "Kidd Jordan's Second Line" has been around for a few years and has
been recorded by the Dirty Dozen Brass Band (1989), the ReBirth Brass Band
(1990) and a Norwegian (jazz?) band Bayou Blue (1993).
The following is from the Wikipedia encyclopedia:
"Edward "Kidd" Jordan is a jazz saxophonist and music educator from New
Orleans, Louisiana. He had performed and recorded with a wide selection of
musicians in styles ranging from R&B to avant-garde jazz, including Ray
Charles, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Ellis Marsalis, Cannonball
Adderley, Ed Blackwell, Ornette Coleman, and Cecil Taylor. He teaches at New
Orleans' Southern University, and performs on tenor, baritone, soprano,
alto, C-melody and sopranino saxophones, as well as contrabass and bass
clarinets. In his performances and recordings his music is entirely
improvised: "Everything you hear on my albums is improvised." he explains.
"It's collective improvisation, but there are no tunes. I tried writing down
ideas a long time ago but I don't do that anymore."
Jordan was awarded a knighthood by the French government for contribution to
the European performing arts, and the brass band tune "Kidd Jordan's Second
Line" (performed by the Dirty Dozen and Rebirth Brass Bands) was named for
him."
Very kind regards,
Bill.