[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bob Crosby, Bob Zurke

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 4 23:15:21 PDT 2006

Dear Ed,
Those Bob Crosby Sousa marches are "bloody magnificent", as we Aussies say,
are on a Coral LP and for some reason have never (to my knowledge) been
released on CD.
Here are the discographal details for those interested:
[The 1957 sides are non- Sousa items.]

Bob Crosby and his Bobcats
Billy Butterfield, Yank Lawson, t; Cutty Cutshall, tb; Matty Matlock, cl;
Eddie Miller, ts; Dave Bowman, p; Carl Kress, g; Bob Haggart, sb; Fred
Pfaff, tu; George Wettling, d.
New York, April 10, 1950
    Washington Post March
    The Stars and Stripes Forever

Billy Butterfield, Gordon "Chris" Griffin, Yank Lawson, t; Cutty Cutshall,
tb; Ernie Caceres, cl; Peanuts Hucko, ts; Lou Stein, p; Carl Kress, g; Bob
Haggart, sb; Phil Kadaway, tu; Bunny Shawker, d.
New York, May 22, 1950
    Semper Fidelis
    El Capitan
    The Thunderer

Ray Linn, Charlie Teagarden, Zeke Zarchy, t; Lou McGarity, tb; Matty
Matlock, cl; Eddie Miller, ts; Stan Wrightsman, p; Nappy Lamare, g; Country
Washburne, tu/sb; Nick Fatool, d.
Los Angeles, October 9, 1950
     King Cotton
     Hands Across The Sea
     High School Cadets

Frank Beach, John Best, Conrad Gozzo, Charlie Teagarden, t; Ed Kusby, Moe
Schneider, Si Zentner, tb; Matty Matlock, cl; Jack Dumont, as; Eddie Miller,
Babe Russin, ts; Clarence Karella, bassax; Al Pellegrini, p; Nappy Lamare,
g; Morty Corb, sb; Jack Sperling, d.
Los Angeles, January 27, 1957
    Memphis March
    Skippin' John
    Bobcats on Parade
    Happy Valley Track

For Dave Richoux.
I think that you will find that Coral CRL 56018 (mine is an Australian Coral
pressing with a different cat. no.) was an earlier 10" LP with the eight
Sousa marches only  and does not contain the above four 1957 sides.
As you know, Coral CRL 57061 - 'Bobcats on Parade' was a 12" LP. I have this
US pressing.
Kind regards,
Bill.