[Dixielandjazz] Peggy Lee

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Tue May 2 19:43:08 PDT 2006

In the last digest was a post by Steve on a review of the new book on
Peggy Lee. Although as stated in that review, Jamestown, N.D. was her
birthplace, Valley City also claims her as a "home town" girl.  Neither
is completely correct as she lived on a farm closer to Sanborn, N.D.,
about midway.

At any rate her life in the music world was followed closely in this
area as with the exception of Lawrence Welk, few well known entertainers
have come from this area.  With the small population of N.D. the odds
are against it.
By coincidence the local Valley City Times Record today had an AP
snippet under "50-years ago-1956.

"Peggy Lee, the blonde singer and actress from North Dakota, and actor
Dewey Martin are honeymooning in Palm Springs, Calif. The couple was
married Saturday night in a closed movie theater used by a religious
group. It was Miss Lee's third marriage. She was divorced from
guitarist-composer Dave Barbour in 1951 and from actor Brad Baxter in 53."

Unquote

I think we are all familiar with Dave Barbour, but  for the purpose of
passing on to the local museum which next year has a program on Peggy
Lee, does anyone on the list have any information on the two actors that
might not be covered in either her own book or the new one?  A personal
post or on the list would be appreciated.

Lowell aka Mad Dawg