[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: The Army Band gig

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon May 1 20:54:03 PDT 2006

Those guys should have joined the AF.  The Army has a different philosophy
about their musicians than the AF but if anyone joins any of the service
bands looking for a soft job then they should look elsewhere.  A band tours
with lots of stuff and someone has to load the trucks and set up and do a
lot of things and play multiple concerts in a day although that isn't the
rule but does happen.  I played a concert on a battleship deck once and we
all thought we were going to fry.  While I was lucky and didn't end up in a
combat zone the guys in my old outfit are posted to Iraq sometime this
summer.  Then there is also a possibility that you might run into a nut case
with a bomb.  I understand that happened to a British band.

The service bands are a job like any other but there are perks too such as
educational grants and other things.  So far as marching goes - I got pretty
tired of that but that's one thing that bands do is military ceremonies and
parades.  While I thought at the time that these things were drags, now when
I see a military band it makes me feel pretty good that I was a part of
that.

The service bands aren't the same as anything else and young people
shouldn't fool themselves that it's a cushy safe job but the rewards are
great too.  I played a gig Friday night and the band was so incredibly good.
The lead alto and tenor both are Active AF and many of the band members are
retired AF bandsmen like me.  These guys are killer players.  The friends
from the AF that I have made are lifelong and I will never regret it.  I
play about a half dozen gigs each year with these guys and I'm looking
forward to Memorial day to the next one.
Larry
St. Louis