[Dixielandjazz] Jose can you see.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 1 07:26:37 PDT 2006

Quick snip from a longer article.  OKOM for us Americans but not the rest of
the world. If you want to see the entire article, write me off line.

One thing for sure. "Protest Songs" are in . . . the very latest happening
in popular music (in the USA at least). Will we jazzers follow the trend?
Gosh, I hope so. One of the most important roots of Jazz goes deeply into
the fertile soil of social protest.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

A Protest Song of Sorts, to a Very Familiar Tune

NY TIMES - By KELEFA SANNEH - May 1, 2006

If you don't have anything nice to say, try singing. Right now some of the
biggest names in rock 'n' roll are following that strategy: Pearl Jam, Bruce
Springsteen and Neil Young all have new albums filled with protest music.

And yet the protest song of the moment comes from somewhere else entirely:
it's an unlikely collaboration between dozens of pop stars you may never
have heard of and a 19th-century amateur poet. The result is "Nuestro
Himno," a new version of "The Star-Spangled Banner," sung by Latin pop
stars. Francis Scott Key's lyrics have been translated into Spanish, but the
basic message ‹ a stirring tribute to a waving flag ‹ remains the same.

Or does it? Within hours of its release the song had done what protest songs
everywhere aim to do: it had annoyed people. . . REMAINDER SNIPPED