[Dixielandjazz] Our time will come

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Tue Mar 28 15:13:54 PST 2006

Dixieland, New Orleans, Chicago etc.

All music forms based on collective

contrapunctual improvisation, are unique.

May be the only music based on collectivity.

With or without technical ability -I think

technical ability enhances the music- it all

comes down to playing together. So the band

with the most mutual understanding creates

the best music. I think audiences all over the

world recognize the click. So this music will

survive. I found out at jazz festivals that

the younger audiences automatically recognize

this. Even if they would never buy a trad jazz record

they are overwhelmed at a live concert.

My advice for all of you musicians: keep on playing

your music live, don't fall for the poor imitation

of "pop" music, it will always be second hand.

Play your own style with conviction and you'll

create a new audience. The fact that the media don't

pay any attention to OKOM, will work for us in the

long run. Young people like to have their own uniqe

taste, so in the long run that could work for us.

Just think about what happened to the Buena Vista

Club of Cuba. Our time will come again.

Cees van den Heuvel

http://www.revivaljassband.nl