[Dixielandjazz] Re:Analog to Digital (Vinyl to CD)

Don jdrobertson at att.net
Tue Mar 28 08:56:15 PST 2006

Hi folks,

I've been using a small pre amp from Radio Shack to feed my component
turntable into  the sound card's "line in".  Unfortunately, the pre amp
seems to be no longer available, having been replaced by a complete
turntable with built in pre amp. (Catalog #: 42-7012) for about $60 ( I
think the pre amp was about $25, probably 10 years ago).  My stereo gear
and the computer are in different rooms so it's not convenient to
connect the stereo system output to the computer.  I use Music Match
Jukebox or iTunes to "record" the music and Roxio CD Creator to burn the
CD.

The whole process is somewhat labor intensive as one has to be ready to
stop the playback, and enter the next tune title every 3 or 4 minutes,
if one is fussy enough to want each tune to have it's own track.  I know
some who just record the whole side of an LP into one big track.  I also
know there is some software that will break such a "composite" track
into individual tune tracks, but I have not been successful in finding
one that works well.

The demise of the mini discs may already be under way.  I found none at
Staples the other day, and only a few 50 packs at Office Depot.  Office
Depot's web site listed the bulk pack as "unavailable".  I don't use
them for music, but find them handy for sending small amounts of data,
small program files or a few picture files to others.  They seem to be
less vulnerable in the mail, and are easier to carry in your pocket.

Don Robertson
Napa, CA