[Dixielandjazz] From Analog to Digital

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Mon Mar 27 13:54:54 PST 2006

I have been using just two simple programs that are very consistent and
reliable, RIPVINYL and NERO.   You should have two drives in the computer,
the CDROM and a CD burner.    Having the two CD drives enables you, in
addition, to make copies of the CD's you've created.

RIPVINYL can be downloaded off the Internet for practically nothing.   Just
type RIP VINYL into your browser.  It is the program in which you store the
raw material from your analog sources digitally.  Then NERO  will read the
material from RIPVINYL and will enable you to edit and enhance the material
for final burning.

In stores that sell all electronics (I recommend Fry's) you can buy NERO
separately or in some cases NERO comes with the purchase of your internal
burner.

There are many options available in the computer electronics stores, various
name brand burners and various digital editing programs.   All work
successfully.   The two I've described are simple and not as versatile as
professionals sound engineers would require.

Another option for you if you want stay away from the computer is to buy a
dubbing machine that will play an analog source or take analog from your
sound system and burn a CD.   They are not as versatile as you might wish in
that they do not enable much editing and no enhancing.