[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Swingin' On The Swanee Shore"-Composer(s)?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 27 12:59:27 PST 2006

Dear Giddy,
Never the easy ones!
"Swinging On The Swanee Shore" (1934. Cavanaugh- Redmond-David)
But who were they?

James Cavanaugh, lyricist, contributed words to Harry Barris's "Mississippi
Mud" in 1928.
A busy man in the 30s-40s. "I Like Mountain Music" 1933, "Neighbours" 1934,
"The Umbrella Man" 1938, "The Gaucho Serenade" 190, "Crosstown", 1940,
Dreams Are A Dime A Dozen" 1947, among others.
Cavanaugh worked with John Redmond, Vincent Rose, Larry Stock, Dick
Robertson and Frank Weldon.

John Redmond, composer. "I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart", "Crosstown",
"Gaucho Serenade", "You're A Sap Mister Jap" [I have the Spike Jones
version], among others.

?? David. No information unless we can find his first name.

Apart from the Sharkey Bonano and Cleo Brown recordings [I have both],
"Swinging On The Swanee Shore" was recorded by Will Osborne (Oct 1934) and
Red Nichols (Nov 1936) for World Transcriptions. Both are/were available on
Circle CDs, released by George Buck of Jazzology.
Kind regards,
Bill.