[Dixielandjazz] Portland "dixieland friendly" venues

Chris Tyle silverleafjb at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 26 22:56:34 PST 2006

Tom,
  I checked out the Portland Jazz Festival webpage, which is  www.pdxjazz.com and I read the background on these various New Orleans  performers that are slated to play next month at Jimmy Maks, Blue Monk  and the Goodfoot Lounge. As I stated before, these venues are "modern"  jazz or rhythm and blues venues, and I believe these groups to be in  that category of music, not in any way  dixieland groups. Since  I'm under the impression that you don't live in Portland, am sure you  can understand that since I live here and am familiar, to a certain  degree, with the scene here, I have an idea of what kind of music is  presented in these venues.

  Also, since I lived in New Orleans and led a band there for ten years,  I have a pretty good idea of the people from there who play dixieland  or traditional jazz, and I didn't recognize the names of any of those  musicians. So I stand by my earlier post stating that there is no  dixieland or traditional jazz scheduled to be performed at those  venues.

  Cheers,
  Chris Tyle