[Dixielandjazz] NOJCNC Sunday Gig

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri Mar 24 10:03:24 PST 2006

Bill Gunter wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> You wrote (regarding Pete Main's Sarousaphone):
>
>> Pete Main's instrument was indeed memorable.
>

> Memorable?!! You call that memorable!??
>
> If you took all the ugly noises in the universe and rolled them into
> one it would still not sound as bad as a sarousaphone.  Pete could put
> the ax down and make armpit farts and get a more beautiful sound than
> that ugly, miserable excuse for a "musical" instrument. It truly is an
> instrument for people with "tin ears" or perhaps a death wish.
>
> I'm glad you enjoyed it.
>
> Warmest regards,
>
> Bill "phhhhttt!" Gunter
> jazzboard at hotmail.com

Thel late Al Brugess of the Jack Pine Savages, an early band I had in MI
with the  cornet of Tom Pletcher making his first venture into regular
gigging, had one ofhe "bastard fishhorns" you are talking about. Oddl
enough, al played a decent solo or two on it, though he admitted he
never had to work so hard in his life to stay in tune over eight bars.
The JPS band played at Bix '73 and '74. Lacking a trombone player at the
time, I got Tom to take over cornet chair and I switched to trombone.
We played a weekend gig at a Lake Michigan resort for a number of
summers. Part of this band merged with Don Gibson's Chaicago area band
and became the Sons of Bix --  thankfully sans any sarousaphone.
Don Ingle