[Dixielandjazz] Technique vs. Feeling

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Mar 24 00:47:04 PST 2006

Hello Jacques:

The world is full of amateur musicians that are Great Entertainers and
making a lot more money than many Professional Musicians will ever make
outside of high paid Classical Orchestra positions that often employ
such great virtuoso artists at great financial losses while playing to
empty concert halls on corporate sponsored events where even the
corporate sponsors don't respect them enough to show up and listen.
The World really does not care how technically brilliant and
hypersensitive we are, they just want to hear good music that makes
them feel good.   we often offer them a diversion to their own daily
problems, and the last thing on their mind is to pay money to come to a
concert and have to think about what we are playing to them.

Bottom line is it is never about US but about THE AUDIENCE and without
them we do not have a reason to exist.   A hard lesson that still has
not been learned by many in the Technically Brilliant Classical field
who simply often feel that they are entitled to entitlements to pay
them to do what They choose to do whether or not they have a real
consumer market for it.

Times have changed too bad many in our industry have refused to adjust
and change with them.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins