[Dixielandjazz] Technique vs. Feeling

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 23 19:14:42 PST 2006

Here we go again about technique vs. feeling.

Below are two of my favorite quotes from superb jazz musicians, both of who
are considered "modern" . . . but both of whom can also play the hell of of
OKOM. And both of whom thought that to be a complete jazz musician, one must
have both technique and feeling.

Bill Evans

"Technique is the ability to translate your ideas into sound through your
instrument. This is a comprehensive technique . . . a feeling for the
keyboard that will allow you to transfer any emotional utterance into it.
What has to happen is that you develop a comprehensive technique and then
say, Forget that. I¹m just going to be expressive through the piano."

Oscar Peterson, responding to the recurring charge that he had "too much"
technique.

"Pianists must be taught. If a man has no technique, if he has been
self-taught and did not teach himself technique, you'll hear it said that he
has an open mind. Not true. He has only grooved himself."

IMO the same is true on all instruments. If one has not developed enough
technique to transfer the feeling, then, one is not a truly serious jazz
musician. But once one develops the technique, then one should to let the
emotional side take over.

Basically stated, I do not think you can play what you have not practiced in
one form or another. (tune forms, scales, chords, transitions etc) OKOMers
may have trouble with bop, and boppers may have trouble with OKOM. However,
both, if they have any ears at all, should be able to play the hell out of
the blues without reading the music.

Perfect OKOM example? Ed Metz's new album, "Prayin Humble, Payin Tribute."
As several of us have mentioned, this new Bob Cat CD is superb. As one
listens to it, one realizes that these musicians have BOTH technique &
feeling and that the CD would not be as good if either attribute was
missing.

Cheers,
Steve