[Dixielandjazz] Odeon "Swing music" series

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Mon Mar 20 19:00:13 PST 2006

Hello all

On the matter of the 13 LP issue of the German Odeon "Swing music" series,
Bill wrote "I bet Anton Crouch still has his set".

Too bloody right! - I'll never part with it.

It's a wonderful collection but its main value lies in the quality of the
transfers. I'd guess that the EMI Electrola engineers had access to mint
German pressings, made from pristine stampers. At only 6 tracks per LP
side, the groove modulation is higher, and the S/N ratio lower, than many
other LPs of the period. The superior quality of the transfers is most
apparent with the Bix Beiderbecke material - not even John RT Davies
(working with less-good originals) did as well as this.

I'd forgotten about Bill's and my dearly departed radio colleague. He
certainly had a knack for naive comments.

All the best
Anton