[Dixielandjazz] Musicians In Search Of Discovery (SXSW)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Mar 20 14:03:25 PST 2006

Not at SXSW, but a band worthy of greater discovery is a San
Francisco quintet called the "As Is Brass Band" - I heard them
yesterday playing a party gig in Oakland CA. They are capable and
comfortable playing not only dixie/trad, pop/rock, and classical
tunes - they also do Balkan brass styles (in all those crazy time
signatures ) and other "cutting-edge" styles. 2 trumpets (one trumpet
also switches to mellophone and baritone,) trombone, sousaphone and
drums is all they need.

They are just finishing their first CD but you can preview some of
their music at their website:
http://www.asisbrassband.com/?c=band

Tom Wiggens and I saw an early version of this band last year at the
"Monsters of Tuba" show in San Francisco.

Regarding the other New Orleans styles - as many of you know, I am a
big fan of almost everything musical from that city! I don't play a
lot of them on my show but I do enjoy listening to them live or
recorded. There is just something special about the whole history of
the music of that region and I have gone to the jazzfest almost every
year since 1980 - the French Quarter Fest is nice, but I like the
total package of jazzfest...

Dave Richoux