[Dixielandjazz] Musicians In Search Of Discovery (SXSW)

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Mar 20 11:46:09 PST 2006

Louis, I'm with you.

The Nevilles are great.  They started so much of what modern New Orleans
is all about.  Would there have been funk as we know it if the Meters
didn't do what they did.  I invite all on this list to discover the
Meters.  They were one of (if not the) first funk groups.  Very much
acoustic VERY SIMPLE but boy does it make you move the rump.

Zydeco, Swamp Rock, Gumbo Rock (Is Professor Longhair classified under
Swamp or Gumbo Rock?), Dr. John, all the street brass bands, etc, etc.
All this is as much of N.O. as was Armstrong or Bechet.  I love it all.

All the best, Gary

PS: Louis, got room in your bunker for me and my tuba?