[Dixielandjazz] FW: "Black Eyed SusanBrown.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 19 15:45:33 PST 2006

Dear friends,
The following came, off list, last night from DJMLer John Farrell.
And I thank him for the correction.

>Dear Bill,
You gave one of the the composers of BESB as Herb Madison - if you check
your sources again I think that you will find that his name is Magidson (in
fact he wrote the words of the song, the other two guys wrote the music).
John Farrell<

The following is part of my reply, which may be of interest to some of you.

"Dear John,
You ole eagle-eye you!!
I took the composer information from Tom Lord's Clarence William's
bio/discography.
He noted that the composer credit on the record includes 'Magidson', but
specifically changed this (by an underline) to 'Madison' in the copyright
information citing a 19 Jan 1933 date.
Which is why I used it.
On checking the ASCAP Dictionary [following your correction] I find that
Herb Magidson is included with this spelling.
Therefore my assumption was incorrect.
Lord was obviously drawing attention to an error in the copyright
information.
I will acknowledge your correction [to the list] in the morning."

Kind regards,
Bill.