[Dixielandjazz] New Member says hi.

Rick Knittel knittelsportland at juno.com
Sat Mar 18 19:35:01 PST 2006

Hello Harry;

I play with the band that helped start the Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz
Festival in Davenport, IA by playing over Bix's grave in 1971 on the 40th
anniversary of Bix's death. I was not with the band in 1971 but was in
1972 when they played the first organized festival there. The band
(BBMJB) is still playing at that festival about every other year but
losing band members as frequently by their passing on. Who was (or is)
your sister's father in law? Most of the members of that 1971 group were
part of bands from NYC. Long Island and New Jersey. Members of the 2005
aggregation that played in Iowa and in Costa Mesa were Bill Barnes
(cornet), Jim Buckman, Noel Kaletsky or Jack Moser (reeds), myself on
trombone, Jim Mayhack or Tex Wyndham on piano, Sam Noto on tuba, Kirk
Prebyl on drums, Bill Lezotte on guitar and Bill Donahoe on washboard.
The band in 1971 included Barnes on cornet, Joe Ashworth and John Schober
on reeds, Skip Strong on trombone, Tex on piano, John Gill on banjo and
Bill Taggart on tuba.

Rick Knittel - JAZZBONE
The Maine Street Paraders and The BBMJB