[Dixielandjazz] Eliminate the Middleman? Nah!

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 17 09:44:55 PST 2006

Steve and DJML--
     Actually, Austin bills itself as the "live music capital" because
of all the bands and venues in town, but i've always thought that was
a bit of a stretch (perhaps it is per capita, but surely New York,
Chicago, LA, and other big cities have more total bands performing on
any given night than Austin does).
     Yes, there are 1,400+ bands, and that's just the official SXSW
bands.  There are plenty of others at non-official venues playing.
     Loosely speaking, there might be some OKOM-related bands playing.
In the Jazz category, there are 19 bands listed
(http://2006.sxsw.com/music/showcases/genre/Jazz.html):

The Lynne Arriale Trio		Lutz FL
John Boutte			New Orleans LA
The Crack Pipes			Austin TX
Dirty Dozen Brass Band		New Orleans LA
The Drift				San Francisco CA
Drop Trio				Houston TX
Golden Arm Trio			Austin TX
Katahdin's Edge			Providence RI
The New Mastersounds		Leeds UK
Nieminen & Litmanen		Helsinki FINLAND
Robin Nolan Trio			Amsterdam THE NETHERLANDS
Ephraim Owens Quintet		Austin TX
Pe'z				Tokyo JAPAN
Brandi Shearer			San Francisco CA
Suzi Stern			Austin TX
Tres				Austin TX
The Chris Vestre Group		Austin TX
White Ghost Shivers		Austin TX
Stephane Wrembel with David Grisman	Brooklyn NY

     The Dirty Dozen Brass Band is SomePersons' KOM, but i haven't
heard any of the other bands, even the ones from Austin.  (Apparently
the OKOM-related bands from Austin that i have heard didn't get
invited to SXSW.)
     However, we of the Austin Traditional Jazz Society have a concert
on Sunday (non-SXSW) by the Jim Cullum Jazz Band
(http://www.atjs.org/HEADS/52.htm), and we've been advertising it for
two weeks now, but the number of tickets sold is not very high.  Pity.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "Son, you have to guard against speaking more clearly
**      than you think."  --  Howard Baker's father