[Dixielandjazz] The value of Theory / The value of Ears & Energy

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 16 07:59:31 PST 2006

It seems to me that many members are confining
"Theory" with a knowledge of chords.

Theory includes:
Structure (Form)
Phrasing
Style(s)
Harmony
Tonal Colors
Rhythmic possibilities
Meter
Tempo
and much, much more.

Q. Do you need schooling do learn these?
A. No
Q. Do you need to know these?
A. No
Q. Does knowledge of theory make you a GREAT player?
A. No
Q. In your lifetime, have you experienced all there is?
A. Probably not. Consider Asian scales, Gregorian
    Chant, John Cage, etc..
Q. So why bother? I know what to do on the gig!
A. Sorry, you'll have to figure that one out by yourself.

Respectfully,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com