FW: [Dixielandjazz] Music theory

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Mar 16 02:22:03 PST 2006

Andy Ling wrote (using language as an example to the discussion about music
theory:

Some pick the new language quickly and speak fluently, others always
have an accent and get the structure (slightly) wrong.

Reminds me, Andy, of my Armenian grandmother who spent some 70 yrs of her
life in the US.  She spoke broken English, and spelled phonetically (never
having had formal schooling).  Died a millionaire!  :>

I always said, if someone came into the Kashishian Oriental Rug Company in
Long Beach just to ask directions, they would walk out of the shop with an
expensive rug under their arm saying "what a nice little lady"!   She just
"sounded" like she knew what she was talking about.  And, of course she did,
as she made rugs as a child in Kayseri, Turkey, everyday, all day.
She learned from practice, and from her elders.  She had a loom in the shop,
and would do a few stitches for the customers.

Putting the practical along with the "knowledge" is the obvious better of
having just one or the other.

Jim