[Dixielandjazz] Let's lighten up a bit

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Thu Mar 16 00:46:36 PST 2006

 From http://www.jazzkc.org/issues/1999-10/coda.html, here are some more
of those cute things kids say concerning music.

Enjoy

OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF TOMORROW'S MUSICIANS

Of the many difficult-to-attribute gems knocking around on the 'net
these days, the following is one of our favorites. All that can be said
with certainty is that it contains actual quotes from elementary music
students collected by a teacher in St. Louis over a 22 year career.

    * "When I learned we were going to take a trip to hear a symphony
      orchestra, I told my feet to quiet down but they felt too Saturday
      to listen."

    * "I would like for you to teach me to play the cello. Would
      tomorrow or Friday be best?"

    * "If you keep moving two fingers real fast on the piano, you get a
      thrill."

    * "I can't reach the brakes on this piano!"

    * "The best way to tune up is to use a pitchfork."

    * "A good thing to remember about trying to pick up a tuba is don't."

    * "Will we ever get to the point where music is no longer taught in
      schools? The chances are 999 out of a hundred."

    * "A diminuendo is something only encyclopedias know for sure."

    * "Tutti means everybody toot at the same time."

    * "I know what a sextet is but I would rather not say."

    * "Fortissimo means real loud. It is the way a composer yells on
      music paper."

    * "Refrain means don't do it! A refrain in music is the part you
      better not play."

    * "Poignant music is music you hear before the stork comes."

    * "Flats are okay in music but bad in tires."

    * "Pieces written in minor keys sometimes make me feel nervous, like
      when my mom is looking at me under her breath."

    * "Just about any animal skin can be stretched over a frame to make
      a pleasant sound once the animal is removed."

    * "By shortening and lengthening tubing filled with air, high and
      low sounds can be made. Only wind instruments can understand this
      well enough to make it work for them. When electric currents go
      through them, guitars start making sounds. So would anybody."

    * "When we blow into a whistle, the air is pushed together in some
      places and pulled apart in others. Naturally it screams and that
      is the sound we hear."

    * "Many things about electronic instruments that were once thought
      to be science fiction now actually are."

    * Question: Who composed The Hallelujah Chorus? Answer: "George
      Fredric Doorknob."

    * "Although Rossini was once considered a great composer of operas,
      we now know of operas he failed to compose."

    * "I like to listen to the Sorcerer's Appendix."

    * "Richard Wagner was born in 1813, supposably on his birthday."

    * "Bach died from 1750 to the present."

    * "Beethoven expired in 1827 and later died from this."

    * "Haydn got married when he was 28 years old and became the father
      of classical music."

    * "Handel was a deeply religious man because in some of his music he
      talks about Ye and Thee and people like that."

    * "Handel was half German, half Italian and half English; he was
      rather large."

    * "Felix Mendelssohn seems to have been happy, honest and
      well-liked, although a musician."

    * "Berlioz proved he was a wonderful composer by going insane."

    * "Music is one of our most anesthetic arts."