[Dixielandjazz] Music theory

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Mar 15 17:06:10 PST 2006

Thank you for clearing that up  that is exactly what I was looking of
in an answer :))
I also should have added the two names you mentioned, I am sure there
are others from that era, that could fall into this category, the point
I was trying to make was that these early folks created Jazz as we all
know and love it from that golden era.

But certainly many of them had not technical or professional theory
training, since they were often not even allowed to attend school or
many other things.

My point is that musicians who play jazz approach it from many
different streets and have taken it down many other streets, with or
without theory, and I am not intending to put down theory or the study
of it here folks, nor those that make a living teaching  it, just
attempting to say that often times we can tend to over analyze and
agonize over some of these issues.

Just Play , and feel free to play it YOUR WAY which does not make the
others play it incorrect either.

Cheers,

Tom PHD . From the Musical College of Hardknocks :))  Wiggins