[Dixielandjazz] Re: "If You See My Mother" lyrics

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 15 15:05:27 PST 2006

Dear friends,
off-list, with the following comment:
"I'd post these on the DJML but, when using plain text, I can't figure out
how to format the lyrics so they come out readable.  Maybe you can
transcribe them and post to the DJML - that WOULD make lots of DJML'ers
happy!!".
OK then.

"Si Tu Vois Ma Mere (Lonesome)"
"If You See My Mother" (1952. Music, Sidney Bechet. 1958. Lyrics, Jean
Broussole)

English version:
'If you are going to see her and the great love that has abandoned me
Far from the thoughts that start to go away for-ever.'
[8 bars]

'And if you see my mother,  tell her,  tell her that I haven't written her
So great the pain it breaks my heart
Tell her for me my sadness I would have needed tender looks,
And her soft hand, to take my hand and tell her
And I shall return, sadly, close to her white hair.
Re-find my childhood heart.'
[24 bars]

I have several band versions of the song (including Bechet and Wilber) but
none with a vocal.
Therefore, I am having some difficulty matching the sentimental (soppy?)
words to the fine tune. It probably makes more sense in French, which I
would not dare attempt to transcribe.
Over to the singers.
Kind regards,
Bill.