[Dixielandjazz] Music theory

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Wed Mar 15 15:03:57 PST 2006

When I talked of lesser chops, I was really referring to chops --
embouchure, lips, fingers, etc...  I am actually in the theory
(language/grammer) camp.  I do agree that one can get by by playing
simply to the masses.  Alas, I have more selective tastes.  95% of the
musicians that I follow have a good theory education.  There are, of
course, the exceptions that with other musical/emotional tools put
themselves on the upper shelf, but they are exceptions.

Pardon my ignorance, but are we talking of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band
here or just an euphemism for something else.  Sorry, perhaps I'm
missing a bit of education.

All the best, Gary