[Dixielandjazz] Sidney Bechet and Teddy Buckner

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 15 08:38:18 PST 2006

Speaking of Bechet and Buckner...
I have an album COVER (no LP inside) that came with Teddy's Benge cornet that I bought on Ebay...wish I could get an LP to go into it!
Called "Bravo!"...Vol. 21 LDM. 30.092
All of the liner notes are in French.
The tunes...
Weary Blues
Ain't Misbehavin'
Aubergines,Poivrons Et Sause Tomate-Bechet
Sugar
Bravo!-Bechet
Who's Sorry Now
All Of Me
Souvenir De La Nouvelle-Orleans-Bechet
I Can't Get Started
Blue Festival 58-Bechet
I used to hear Teddy at "The Huddle" in West Covina, California. I had a gorgeous gold-plated English Besson cornet he would play after announcing to the crowd, "I'm gonna give you a lesson on a Besson", then laugh like mad. I loved his playing...as good as anyone anywhere!
This silver short LB Benge was his last cornet...in the case is his tune list, gig calendar, 2 mutes with TB scratched on them, 2 very old cornet mouthpieces, 35 business cards, a leather cigar case for 4 cigars, and a cleaning snake (which I don't think he used very often). Dick Akright straitened out the bell the best he could...it looked like it was dropped on the bell and Teddy tried to smooth it out with a hammer! Looks very good now. I keep it in my closet, and play my Benge and Pujé horns that I got from Tommy Loy...Teddy's Benge hasn't got a 1st valve trigger...
End of long boring message!!
Warm regards,
Bob Romans,
Cell..209-747-1148