FW: [Dixielandjazz] Duke Ellington tag

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Mar 15 00:56:08 PST 2006

I guess I get a bit up tight about this. The term OKOM always sets me "off."
It reminds me of the country club set referring to "OUR king of people."
Craig Johnson

Craig, the original OKOM thing was formed just because people were fussy
about "what to include" in discussions on this list.  It purposely left the
list open for comments about anything over a very large period of time.
Those that worried about including Duke (for example) in the realms of OKOM
can restrain that flexibility again, and that could destroy the whole
purpose.

It's not a perfect term, but being perhaps a bit more limiting in range than
just Jazz, for instance, keeps us all more or less on the right track.
Interest in Jazz from the 1920's (so as not to use any word that might
offend!) put us all on the list, I suppose, and using OKOM to describe music
all around that area of time is a shortcut(saving typing), nothing more.

Jim