[Dixielandjazz] Key & Tempo Variations - was Set Lists

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 14 13:53:43 PST 2006

Several list mates talked about keys and tempos.

We always start and always end a set with an up-tempo rouser. e.g. Wolverine
Blues, or Sweet Georgia Brown, Shine, etc. Opening with the belief that the
audience will judge us on first impression. Closing, we figure they will
again judge us on the last tune. What goes on in the middle, while still
important, is of lesser importance in our view. Same thing in all forms of
communication IMO.

We also, like Kash, vary the keys with each tune, unless we get a request
and it happens to be in the same key as the tune we just did. We love to
play requests because, the audience appreciates it, and the requester
frequently tips the band. This year so far, $100 was the largest tip for a
tune. In past, we've gotten as much as $200 for one tune.

Tempos are usually 1 fast, 1 medium, 1 slow, 1 medium, 1 fast, 1 slow, 1
fast, in a seven tune, club date set. Other venues vary, depending upon the
audience.

Our goal is to excite the audience.

Cheers,
Steve