[Dixielandjazz] Improv. quotes......

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Mar 13 07:05:39 PST 2006

I too have a quote about cerebral use and improvisation I'd like to
share.  When I was just beginning to learn to play this stuff (I say it
like that because I am still learning), I was a regular with Rosy
McHargue at Sterlings in Santa Monica.  What a gracious man to let me, a
17 year old greenhorn, regularly sit in even though I didn't know my ax
well enough the music.  Anyway, he signaled for me to take a chorus.  I
started doing what I knew was safe which must have sounded like a bunch
of scales and arpeggios while I struggled to follow the chord
progression.  I can still hear his voice and see his face as he sternly
looked at me and yelled; "STOP THINKING!"

All the best, Gary