[Dixielandjazz] Set list

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Mar 13 05:01:27 PST 2006

The following was a paragraph at the end of one of messages awhile back.  It
might be an interesting thread.  My personal feelings are that I don't like
to make a song list.  Too strict, and doesn't allow the band to mold the
evening depending on audience reaction, or the band's mood.

I do approach the stand normally with the first 3 songs planned in my head,
based on what we have played on past nites, so as to keep the band sounding
fresh.  Afer that, it is audience & band mood that guides me.

Things I consider when choosing songs "on-the-fly" choosing the next song
while we are
playing........

......."this one is slow, shall we go fast or medium next (or visa versa)?,
we've done two songs based on the 32 bar format in a row, time for something
with a different format, one with breaks maybe?....whoops, two songs in a
row in Ab, could be boring for the band, better try a different
key?....looks like a couple of kids in the front might get up & dance if we
do a charleston based tune!....need a vocal next?....what's a good one to
end up with?...need to toss in a well known tune now!....we did that one
last nite (no need to repeat so often, can be boring for the band), what
time is it?, time to build up towards the finish?....etc, etc".

How do others approach this?  Strict set list, set list that is later
improvised, no set list...?? I suppose this will be influenced, also, by how
often a band performs, or how many songs they might know!

Jim