[Dixielandjazz] theory ,jazz- improvisation

eighthst7 at aol.com eighthst7 at aol.com
Sun Mar 12 16:06:44 PST 2006

Many years ago when I was in high school  (early 50's)    I  asked a
professional trumpet player what advice he would give to a youngster  hoping to become
a pro..   He said "learn lots of songs".  This  was brought to mind as I read
Mike Vax's post on learning to improvise.   That was good solid advice as it
turned out.  And now as I approach 70 yrs  old, I still know the songs &  many
more.  Of course in those  days almost every song was a "standard" .  Today
is different with all the  various styles and volumes of tunes.  When I formed
my first Dixie group, I  had a bunch of younger guys who didn't know the
tunes.  So I started with  written arrangements, and little by little introduced
the repitory sp) one tune  at a time.  "Indiana" this week and "Georgia" next.
etc.  And now we  use no charts.

Richard Redmond
8th st 7 Jazz  Band
Palm Springs CA