[Dixielandjazz] Re: Music theory

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sun Mar 12 04:46:16 PST 2006

Ken's question is such a good one I can't resist adding my own "beliefs." I
selected that word on purpose. I don't think anyone will ever be able to
demonstrate the value of learning theory through their improvisation.  However, I
also believe that all musical knowledge is basically  useful because it adds
perspective and options--even if your playing  doesn't adopt it.

Years ago I got caught up in the John Mehagan books on jazz because I
believed he had special knowledge that would show me how to play jazz better. So  I
tried to memorize all the scales and modes in all 12 keyes, (as played), but I
 finally wearied of this pointless labor and went back to simply playing
music I  liked. In the end, I never understood why learning the notes of a
particular  mode gave you better improvisational notes to play, when using the chord
based  upon the same root note as the mode. His books never explained why
either. But  his books insisted that I MUST learn to do this.

In the end I think he encouraged me to learn more basics and that helped
with dexterity, fingering, and the like. Now I learn from myself--the way that
Chopin did, I've read. In other words, I sit down and play from the gut  until
I get something I really like. Then I go back and try to capture it, and  hold
onto it, by "explaining" it in some way. I read that Chopin spent  more time
trying to capture his piano pieces on paper than in actually creating  them.
The point is--this method works for me. I've learned a lot that I can  apply to
different songs and in different keys--from myself.

Maybe Mehagan inspired me in some unknown way. Who knows?

Dan (backup pianoman) Spink