[Dixielandjazz] Re: Music theory

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Mar 11 15:57:22 PST 2006

Ken
Theory is nice and I guess there are those who like to get into the numbers
but while you are doing all of that you will lose the music.  The simplest
place to start is to learn the blues scale in several keys then get yourself
the first couple of the Jamey Ambersold Blues CD's and have at it.  If you
have Band in a Box there are a bunch of different blues progressions that
come with it that you can put in any key.

I have a good friend that's really good with all sorts of scales, whole
tone, mixolidian, (all the Greek scales) and a few that I don't know.  He's
fast as hell and can wow just about anyone but his solos sound like scales
and something out of a exercise book.  That's what you'll get if you delve
too much into the theory.

I have a 4 year degree in music and I can stop to figure out what is going
on but to tell you the truth I don't even think about the key.  That comes
from years of playing with all kinds of groups where I couldn't call the key
or tune and they just started playing.   I had to instantly know the tune
(even when I didn't have a clue) and do something, hopefully cool after the
head.  That hasn't changed a bit in 50 years.  I still have to do that. When
I was in college I played with some guitar guys that tuned their instruments
where ever every night.  You got what you got.

I had a couple of students a few years back that had incredible ears.  They
were black and played from the time they were tiny in their church.  The
thing that they had to do was pick up the tune, style and key when someone
felt the spirit and got up and started singing.  This was all improv and
they had to be quick.  Those guys just did it.  They didn't think about
anything except the other guy and they just did it.

I think that the best advice I could give you is put on an Ambersold CD
(start with Blues) and go for it.  Lean back, close your eyes and blow.
Don't try to keep up with everyone else, be smooth and If you are playing a
blues scale you can't make a mistake.  If you must read the chord sheet just
make sure that you are playing a chord tone on the beat.  You can play
pretty much what you want off the beat.

Use classic ornamentation such as turns, glissandos, grace notes and upper
and lower neighbors with jazz rhythms.  You can do a lot with just rhythms
(One Note Samba)  Pick a tune and memorize it then gradually improvise on
the melody not getting too far away from it.  Then experiment and don't be
afraid of making a mistake.  Keep the melody going in your head or have the
piano man hint (not play) in the melody so you can play against it.  That's
a good thing to do too is learn to accompany the melody and play against it.
Working with singers is good practice for that.  You can practice that with
a lot of records.

By the way there are rhythm guys that haven't a clue as to how to help you
improvise and not get you lost.  There are two (maybe more) basic piano comp
styles.  The first is big chords with far out sounds.  This allows the jazz
player to play anything and it sounds OK.  Trouble is you can lose the key
and phrasing real easily.  The other extreme is the guy is playing basic
chords.  This doesn't give you much room to expand.  A good piano man will
lead you from chord to chord and there is never a question about where you
are going.  The worst comping that I know just migrates between the same two
chords for about 64 measures.  A good piano man will tell you where the
phrase is and in partnership with the drummer and bass man will keep you on
the planet.  I hate it when the drummer is just banging away and isn't
phrasing and the piano player is just chunking chords that seem to go
nowhere.  Some of these guys take no responsibility for holding the thing
together.  It's hard to play with a rhythm section that isn't helping you.

I used to play with a guy in the AF that was really good but was a
vindictive SOB and he would lead you off into la la land somewhere and drop
you if he was in a snit.  He got a charge out of it.

The hardest thing for most people to do is get away from the paper.
Musicians are locked to the printed page.  It sounds like you want to go
deeper into the paper not get farther away from it.  This skill is all about
imagination and composing on the fly and listening like crazy and having the
strength to make mistakes in front of those who are better than you.
Larry Walton
St. Louis