[Dixielandjazz] Re: Music theory

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Sat Mar 11 11:56:15 PST 2006

Ken writes:

> Here's my question.  Can any of you that play well enough to perform
cite
> an
> example of some aspect of music theory that has enabled you to raise
your
> skill level?  Especially in the area of improvisation.
>
> Ken Gates

Ken:

The single most important aspect of music theory that my students
benefit from is training the ear to recognize scale degrees and
intervals.

You start with the major scale. Each note is assigned a number (in the
solfeggio system, each note is assigned a syllable such as do re mi fa
so la ti do. I prefer numbers because you will use them later in
identifying and playing chord symbols).

If you are looking at just the white keys of a piano keyboard, C is 1, D
is 2, and so on.

Then go through all the major scales and assign the numbers
correspondingly. Be able to sing all the major scales using just
numbers. Then play and sing the major triads in the same way
(1-3-5-8-5-3-1).

For jazz, the next step is to assign numbers to the blue notes. These
are flat-3, flat-5, and flat-7. Try to play your favorite simple riffs
and blues melodies using these and the regular numbers too. Try singing
the melodies to jazz songs using just numbers. Sing them in all 12 keys.
For example, The Saints is 1-3-4-5, 1-3-4-5, 1-3-4-5-3-1-3-2,
3-3-2-1-1-3-5-5-4, 3-4-5-3-1-2-1. Tin Roof Blues is
5-flat5-4-3-5-flat5-4-3-5-1-3.

The final step is to make up your own simple jazz or blues riff and sing
it in all twelve keys using just the numbers. Then play it on the horn
in all 12. You are then well on your way to becoming an improviser.

mopo

Don Mopsick, Riverwalk Webmaster