[Dixielandjazz] Controversy

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Fri Mar 10 14:31:15 PST 2006

Yes, Mike and Tom were tooting their own horns a lot, but
I believe they had a goal: don't sit still mourning about the
lack of interest in "our" jazz, but do something about it!
That's why I always read their contributions.
Yes, they were typical American; the agressive way of
getting gigs would'nt work in Europe, but had elements
that could work.
Their phrasing, i.m.o., just were "kicks in the butts", and
a lot of us can use them.
I have never found them abusing and  the clips Steve
shared with us were appreciated: saved me the trouble
of searching them. Steve placed them to inform us about
trends in the USA.
I'll miss their contributions and hope they'll reconsider.

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl