[Dixielandjazz] Leaving is over-rated!

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Fri Mar 10 08:55:38 PST 2006

Here's my 2 cents worth.

Both Steve and Tom put out a lot of verbiage, and one must cull through a
great deal of  literati to find the diamonds, but the diamonds are there and
worth the effort from both guys.

The most valuable thing I got from Tom Wiggins was his comment that the "day
job" of professional musicians was getting gigs.   I knew at the time that the
comment would frustrate a lot of guys who haven't developed their people
skills enough to get  jobs, but none the less, it was right on.  Tom, you'd be
proud.  I work on it every day.

The most valuable thing I got from Steve Barbone was the realization that
entertainment was probably 60% music and 40% mic & band humor.  This lesson
took a long time and is only now beginning to sink in.  Trouble is I'm clumsy
with humor and can offend people without even trying. So, I really have to
work at it.

Also, from Barbone, I realized that  my band banner and CDs covers should have
art work instead of a picture of band members.  The band personnel change so
much, keeping a current picture available, that looks good, is difficult.

Will miss these guys.  Hope they reconsider.

Russ Guarino, Clarinet Maven.