[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong revisited.

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Fri Mar 10 08:43:27 PST 2006

This morning, while sitting in my car, waiting for my train to come in
(sounds like a blues, huh?) I popped an old tape into the player. It was
one I made in the 70s (yep, still works) of 78s that I owned at the
time.  One cut that came up was Armstrong playing I Can't Give You
Anything But Love.  It was a later rendition with his big band and not
the one accompanying the female vocalist.   I found myself soaring with
joy at the notes Louis was playing.  The band was behind him, rather
straight in their timing and close to the melody.  Armstrong, muted,
inserted his melody line- sparse, timed before and after the rest of the
band's melody notes.  He placed short runs and fills.  It was heavenly.
As many times as I have played that side, it never ceases to amaze and
delight me.

Ron L