[Dixielandjazz] Public Liability

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 9 05:43:21 PST 2006

Public Liability

Tom Wood (Zenith) said in part:

[“We are playing at a jazz festival in the open this Sunday at Kiama (about
100 kms. south of Sydney) and I had to renew our Public Liability Policy.
The figure quoted was $1500 plus 10% Goods & Services Tax (i.e. $1650) for
the 12 month period i.e. double what we had been paying previously.  The
band was not very happy and although legally bound under contract to play
with a certificate of currency for Public Liability so I approached the
organisers with our dilemma.”]

Poker machines killed off most of the jazz scene in Australia, and Public Liability Insurance plus the Copyright laws are likely to finish off the few remaining bands. However, I do think that quote is a little high. You might need to shop around a little.

It is true that one cannot get a gig through an agency without Public Liability insurance for your band. Most of the pro/semi-pro musicians I know have their own individual PL insurance that covers them for playing with anybody – about $300 p.a.

One of the big bands I play with is presently investigating the situation with regard to how they are constituted. It seems that some kinds of organisation are not required to have Public Liability insurance. I’ll let you guys know if it pans out.

Best

Grah

Graham Martin
Email: grahmartin at bigpond.com