[Dixielandjazz] Lindy Hop - Balboa - Shag - Beads

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 7 12:46:36 PST 2006

> Joe Hopkins wrote (polite snip)

> about beads.....they can be fun and we use them occasionally but for a Lindy
> Hop crowd they don't work. It is impossible to dance the Lindy Hop or Balboa
> or Collegiate Shag wearing Mardi Gras beads. The  kids try it just once...then
> they get rid of the beads before someone gets  hurt.

Solid advice Joe. They can be dangerous. Save your money folks, when kids
swing dance, you don't need beads to excite their hypothalamuses. :-) VBG

Your input on how you do it is valuable and points to the fact that
Pennsylvania and Arizona may be 2500 miles apart . . but the kids react to
the music and the bands in similar fashion.

Hopefully, others will follow your lead so take a minute every now and then
and report your findings. That's how the torch passes and the music lives.
At least give the other bands the choice of doing what you do, or not.

Cheers,
Steve