[Dixielandjazz] talking about gigs

acjspres at aol.com acjspres at aol.com
Tue Mar 7 07:52:24 PST 2006

As far as talking about gigs ...... many of us are working so much and are
so busy that we really don't have time to opine on the DJML. I had 25 gigs in
Feb and March is shaping up to be a 16 gig month. The reason I don't spend  a
lot of time talking about these gigs is that many band leaders don't want to
do what I do (I understand that) plus the fact that I have a key contact in
the  college age swing dance scene here in Arizona. (my son)

What works for me may not work for you because our bands are not the
same...the style and the musicianship vary so much from band to band. Most of  our
gigs are repeat business and if you are not being asked for return  engagements
than you need to focus on what your band is doing musically rather  than
looking for new business.

On Steve's point about beads.....they can be fun and we use them
occasionally but for a Lindy Hop crowd they don't work. It is impossible to  dance the
Lindy Hop or Balboa or Collegiate Shag wearing Mardi Gras beads. The  kids try
it just once...then they get rid of the beads before someone gets  hurt.

The way we get weekly gigs that end up lasting a couple of years at a club
is to agree to play a couple of weeks for free....I know that by doing that the
 dancers will follow us and fill up the joint. It works for me....I have seen
it  tried by many others in this town and when no one shows up you
immediately lose  the gig.

Develop an e-mail distribution list so that you can let your fans know  where
you are playing. It has proved to be a powerful tool for us....the clubs
won't advertise so we must.

Thats enough for now......I have a dixieland gig at the Mesa Performing  Arts
Center and must leave. By the way, I simply phoned the center and asked for
the person who books the entertainment .... she was thrilled to learn I had a
dixieland band and booked us immediately ( I wish it was always that  easy).

"We are  confronted with insurmountable opportunities"....Pogo

Joe Hopkins
AZ  Classic Jazz Society Vice-President
Jazz Clarinet...52nd Street Jazz Band  602-810-5888 or 480-396-6798
_www.azclassicjazz.org_ (http://www.azaclassicjazz.org/)