[Dixielandjazz] Bridge on "Strange Blues"

d. sleeman d.sleeman at hccnet.nl
Sun Mar 5 04:18:28 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Gates" <kwg28 at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Dixieland Jazz" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 11:38 PM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Bridge on "Strange Blues"

> Wingy Manone is given credit for "Strange Blues"---a rather pretty tune, I think.
> I have two recorded versions----One is in the key of Db ---- This one use the chord A7
> --and the four melody notes of A7 to start the bridge.
>
> The other version is in the key of C --- and Ab7 (the corresponding chord, of course) does
> NOT seem to work--but Ab6 (one melody note different) does seem to work.
>
> Either way sounds okay to my ear.  But curious as to what chord and what the first four
> eighth notes of the bridge are used by your group.  Anybody play this tune?

Yes, I arranged it for a group I used to play in. I based my arrangement on a recording of Bob Scobey's. The first 5 notes of my rendering (in Db) are: A - G# - G - E - C#. They constitute the chord of A7. The G# is just a passing tone.

My 2 Eurocents!

Dick Sleeman, Lelystad, Holland. <d.sleeman at hccnet.nl>

"...Of all the musical instruments in use today, the trombone is one of,
 if not THE most difficult of instruments. I know, 'cause I have one..."

  (Dewsnap in "THE TROMBONE", December 10, 2002)