[Dixielandjazz] Anyone know this tune?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 1 23:28:09 PST 2006

Hi all,

So this elderly lady comes up to the bandstand after the last set and asks
if we know an old song and she sings a few lines.

We jotted them down and, since it sounded like a sort or nifty tune, we
thought we'd see if we could find it.

Anyway, the first couple of lines go as follows:

-----> start

I'm a 12 o'clock fella in a 9 o'clock town
Don't get up until the sun goes down.
Wish there was but guess there ain't
Just a few girls who would powder and paint . . .

That's all we managed to jot down. Sounded like a catchy tune and, if we can
chase it down, we like to try it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How about some of you really old guys in the DJML (Steve, Tom, etc.) - have
any of you heard it before?

Respectfully requested,

Bill Gunter
Cell Block 7 Jazz Band