[Dixielandjazz] Anat Cohen

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 1 15:43:00 PST 2006

Tom Duncan writes about the Diva Jazz Orchestra

>Anat Cohen may be that tenor player (or the alto soloist?)
>although I have heard her play clarinet very well at Birdland with Dave
>Ostwald's Gully Low Jazz Band. Caught a performance where she sat in and
>traded 2's, 4's, 8's, choruses with Dan Levinson.

I can tell you that Anat Cohen is a brilliant player in any style she
chooses: modern, Brazilian choro, or swing / mainstream.  She has a unique
style that swings like crazy and makes musical sense, too.  She'll be
playing in Denver for Summit Jazz at the end of the month, March 31 and
April 1.

This is a "pretty good" band:

JON-ERIK KELLSO, trumpet
ANAT COHEN, reeds
JOHNNY VARRO, piano
JAMES CHIRILLO, guitar
PAUL KELLER, bass
PETE SIERS, drums

Donald R. Seawell Grand Ballroom
Denver Center for the Performing Arts (DCPA)
14th Street between Champa and Arapahoe, downtown Denver
Three 45-50 minute sets will begin at 7:00 p.m. and end about 10:00 p.m.
Doors will open at 6:15 p.m.

www.summitjazz.org

Ed Danielson