[Dixielandjazz] Sound systems

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Wed Mar 1 15:11:36 PST 2006

After years of searching, eliminating and sizing down to an adequate minimum
of equipment:

-Bose 402 speakers that can be carried in one hand without breaking your
back.
 with light weight aluminum stands
-Shure SM 58 beta mikes,a pressure zone mike for piano. AKG, but the cheap
 realistic works too.
-Lem (=Generali) minisound, a very small powered mixer with a fantastic
 effects generator -I only use the reverb that is up to the Lexicon
standard.
-Very light weight aluminum mike stands; forget the heavy weight ones: six
  of them weigh more than youre entire system.
-Bose powered mini monitors; the Lem has a special mono monitor slide
 to feed them.

Advantages:
 I can bring it in in one (or two when I'm tired) go, set it up
within 8 minutes. (The other musicians are always late...)
Every musician that played with me has complimented me for
the perfect sound so far.

You don't need a Lem if it's not available, every small (!)
powered mixer with a good reverb and separate pre-
an end amplifier (you'll need that for the insertion of the
Bose active equalizer) will do. About 2x120 Watts sinus is adequate.

This is enough for a club to a medium hall. When there
is a sound system for bigger events, I use my system
and give the "engineers" a line out. This way I can control
the balance..

The adagium: "less is more"

Just my twe eurocents and a lot of expierence.

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl