[Dixielandjazz] Turk at Carnegie

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Wed Mar 1 14:49:14 PST 2006

Wow, am I out of the loop.  I didn't know the concert was recorded.  I
went with Richard Miller and Danny Levinson.  We were on the stage
behind the bands so we had to enter by the stage entrance.  When the
taxi dropped us off, who was standing in front of me, but Turk himself.
He never really remembered my name, but he remembered my face from all
the times I went to EMcGs.  He was movin' pretty slow and I offered to
carry his trombone for him.  He was happy to lighten his load.  So,
among my weird claims to fame is that I carried Turk's trombone into
Carnegie Hall that night.

At some future time, I'll tell you about kissing Count Basie on the
forehead and playing piano with Steve Allen.

All the best to all, Gary